05 February 2020

TAKE THREE HUNDRED AND FIFTY SIX f


Wings on Wednesday - 
YAM's take on the good, the bad, the ugly and the downright hilarious in photographing birds.

The penguin walk at Edinburgh Zoo.


The zoo is top-notch at managing this event. It is left entirely up to the penguins whether they want to walk or not. It mimics natural behaviour as the birds would tend to go walkabout when not nursing.

The gates are opened and the keeper/s wait to see who's on for a ramble. Following the walk (around a fair bit of the zoo grounds), they return to their enclosure and dive straight in one or other of their lovely pools - as they would if they reached the edge of the ice and into the sea!

Sometimes all the birds join in. Sometimes only a few. Occasionally only one or two. There is no interaction allowed - unless a character or two approach you individually and seek that themselves. And trust me, they are characters!!!

Obviously, this is one of my archival shots. Taken about forty years ago!

10 comments:

  1. 40 years or yesterday what a delightful photo ...I watch lots of animal programs and have been very amazed at how smart and easily trained penguins are.
    Hugs cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun that must have been...and what a treasured photo!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, the penguin walk sounds awesome. I would like to see it in person. They are so cute!
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's amazing that you were so proficient with a camera when you were two years old!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never seen one except inphotos and movies. I want to see them do this. adorable

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, my....you answered my question about interaction...I would so have been wanting one to choose to interact...but then maybe I don't know what I am asking for!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thats a bit of a time machine picture. My brother recently gave me some pictures of us sitting on the stones at Stonehenge! Those were the days!!

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete

Feedback is appreciated. Keep yourselves tidy please.