28 October 2019

TAKE TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY SIX f

Monday's Critters

Thru the windscreen - random sheep wandering the highways of the north-west.

To respond to queries from the previous critters post: the majority of flocks you see wandering like this are owned by crofters. (Crofting is a form of small-holding farming particular to Scotland - I leave you to your own researches on that.) When 'common grazing' is used, there are no fences, usually. Where more than one owner is using the land, the stock is marked either with coloured dye or with ear-tags. The stock is free to roam as it desires. What you see here is an actual road - and this is why I always refer to driving 'sheep tracks' when oot and aboot in the Bonny Land!!!

7 comments:

  1. It is still a bit of a mystery how far they travel and how they all are ultimately reunited with their owners.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bah Bah white sheep you have lots of fine wool!!
    Love this photos
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  3. This picture has quite a warmth in it. My mother explained country roads as "the way the cows came home."

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH, I so love this...I doubt you can even imagine how much I love it. It is one of my favoritest favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, I just love this photo and the sheep. It is nice they are free to roam. Enjoy your day, wishing you a happy new week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would LOVE to drive or walk a sheep filled road or track or trail....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Segregating and rounding them up must be a task!

    ReplyDelete

Feedback is appreciated. Keep yourselves tidy please.