16 November 2022

TAKE TWO HUNDRED AND SEVENTY FIVE j

Wings on Wednesday -
YAM's take on the good, the bad, the ugly and the downright hilarious of photographing birds.

For the next five weeks, a focus on a surprise visitor outside the Hutch's windows... the Grey Wagtail (which has a lot of yellow). These are on the amber status here, so I begin by giving you a list from the RSPB as to what that entails. 


I was beyond excited, as had not seen this bird before and that it should turn up on the roof over the road - well, I felt blessed. It visited for three days in a row - with its mate, the male, but I didn't get a shot of that, only the female. (The male has a black throat.) It is a restless wee thing, so the photographic offerings are the best of a rather poor lot - I just pointed with both the Hisstix and the Fudge and did what I could through some rain and the double-glazing and against the light. Here is the first in the series.



8 comments:

  1. It is a beautiful little bird and a damn shame there are so few breeding pair. I read about the same for salmon. All the salmon are required merely to feed orcas; stop eating salmon, humans. It makes me feel guilty for a lovely piece of salmon the other night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a bird that causes a lot of misidentification from people who are unfamiliar with the differences between Yellow Wagtail and Grey Wagtail. It is a very beautiful species, sadly endangered like so many others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hari Om
      Indeed, David; the Yellow Wagtail is only a summer visitor and that too, well south of the Scottish border and is on Red status. I wonder if I shall ever get one of those in the lens...??? (drifts into reverie...) Yxx

      Delete
  3. Congrats on your new visitor, it is a beauty! Great photo! Take care, have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. precious and pretty and so sad to read it is endangered. hope they make it and keep breeding.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful bird!!! I know exactly the glee you felt. I felt it two different times when we had Cedar Wax Wings at our bird bath. They travel in groups...it was an amazing sight. They took turns waiting in the tree while others were drinking. They have red tipped wings.
    Then another time in early spring, I looked up to see a Male Rose Breasted Grosbeak on my feeder. I was sure it was someone's exotic bird. Black back, white and red chest. He and his mate, who was a dull in color as he was brilliant, visited several times in about 3 days as they headed toward their summer home in our mountains.
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  6. A definite lifer Yam, what a wonderful sight that must have been!!!

    ReplyDelete

Feedback is appreciated. Keep yourselves tidy please.